Leukemia is cancer of the cells. It begins in the bone-marrow, the soft-tissue inside bones. Leukemia bone-marrow is where blood cells are created. The bone-marrow begins to make lots of strange white blood cells, called cells if you have leukemia.
Leukemia Treatment in India is available at some of the best and top hospitals that are world renowned, recognized for their excellence in their medical specialties. At these hospitals, patients get access to team of surgical specialists & a comprehensive range of imaging and laboratory services that result in successful remission from leukemia. India has now become a popular destination for medical tourists because of its low cost, efficient staff and medical facilities that are on par with western standards. Leukemia Treatment in India is available at the hospitals of Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai and New Delhi at an affordable price.
Leukemia is cancer of the bone marrow and blood. It results from an uncontrolled build-up of blood cells. Treating people with leukemia is very challenging. Because these are blood cells, leukemia cells are found throughout the body. Therefore, surgery alone cannot be used to treat this disease. There are 4 types of leukemia, named for the cell type:
- Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) – the most common type of leukemia in adults
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia(CLL) – the 2nd most common type of leukemia
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) – the 3rd most common type of leukemia
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) – the least common type of leukemia (primarily affecting children)
Diagnosis of Leukemia
In general SGHHCC and SGCCRC consider all available options for the diagnosis of the cancer. We always prefer non-invasive methods than invasive methods. If invasive methods are highly necessary, then next priority will be to prevent the spread of the cancer as a by-product of the diagnostic procedure. As a general rule, we appreciate the biopsy to be done after total surgical removal of the entire tumour or affected organ with all nearby enlarged and affected lymph nodes so that the cut ends of the malignant tissues will not become instrument for the spread of the cancer inside the body.
Preliminary diagnosis of leukaemia usually takes place during routine blood test. Later one or more of the following tests will be conducted to confirm the diagnosis.
- Physical test: Physical examination is conducted to find out swollen lymph nodes, spleen and liver.
- Blood test: Blood tests are conducted to count the number of red blood cells, platelets, and white blood cells.
- Biopsy: In this test, samples of tissues of bone marrow are examined under a microscope to ascertain whether leukemia cells exist.
- Cytogenetic testing: This test is conducted on the samples blood, bone marrow and lymph nodes. This test finds out the existence of abnormal chromosomes in the blood and it also identifies the type of leukaemia.
- Spinal tap: This test is conducted by taking spinal fluid from the lower spine area and is to test the presence of leukaemia and signs of other problems
- Chest X-ray: Chest X-rays are sometimes taken to identify lymph nodes and diseases in the chest
Leukemia Cancer Treatment
The goal of treatment for leukemia is to destroy the leukemia cells and allow normal cells to form in your bone marrow. Benefits of Leukemia Treatment in India are based on the kind of leukemia you have, its stage, and your age and general health. Common Leukemia Treatment in India include:
Stem Cell Transplant
The stem cell transplant treats the leukemia, using high dose of radiation or drugs and sometimes both of them. The stem cells are to be taken from the donor, when there is a close math of the bone marrow of the donor and patient. It is necessary to take before, as the high dose kills the leukemia cells as well as the normal blood cells. So, right after the chemotherapy, the stem cells collected from the donor will be put back into the blood. The new blood cells are produced by the stem cells within a few weeks of time.
Targeted therapy targets only the cancer causing cells through the usage of the drugs, still not damaging the healthy cells. Cancer growth inhibitors are one kind of this therapy.
Chemotherapy is the usage of the drugs to destroy the cancer cells. These drugs can be given by the pills or injection to interfere, the cancer cells’ growth ability. However, they also tend to damage the healthy cells to some extent. And these damaged healthier cells can be recovered over a period of time. It may cause the side effects like vomiting, fatigue, hair loss, nausea, increased risk of infection and loss of appetite.
Biological therapy makes use of the built-in immune system to enable it to fight against the cancer or sometimes also implemented to control the side effects caused from the other Cancer treatments. The body’s defenses are boosted up using the drugs or normal body substances to fight against the illness.
It utilizes large amounts of radiation, including xrays, to destroy cancer cells. Radiation is generally given from a machine outside the body that directs radiation to the cancer (external radiation). Radiation can also be utilized to take care of acute leukemia which has spread to spinal-cord and the mind.